Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Loophole to the Spend Freeze....


Thirteen days into the New Year, and my non-resolution resolution of putting the breaks on spending is going so far, so good. I’ve limited myself to only buying the essentials and have so far convinced myself that adding another scarf to my already overflowing collection does not actually count as an “essential”.  More like an addiction to accessories and just-because-one-of-them-got-a-snag-in-it-when-it-got- caught-on-my-necklace-and-needs-a-little-needle-and-thread-TLC does not really qualify buying a new one as “essential”.  (Or does it?)

That said, the scarf is on final sale and about 40% off and has free shipping, so if it’s still there next time I look, I may be in trouble.  But really…can a girl have too many scarves?  Say it with me… “NO!”

Anyway….back to the real essentials quest.  I’m not going nutso and depriving myself of anything fun. This is not a juice fast or something insane like that. I’m still going out for some after work drinks and dinners and getting me some Starbucks Peppermint Mocha.  But I am trying to work on that wicked lack of self-control that has led to a bunch of clothes I don’t even really like (nevermind wear) and four bottles of Nivea body wash that I didn’t know I had and getting really excited over a new nailpolish at Duane Reade (OPI Vampsterdam, for the record), only to find out that I already had a bottle of it at home that I wasn’t using. 

Me + Stress = Impulsive Bad Choices. 

Resolution = Stop Making Impulsive Bad Choices. 

Sleep on it.  Revisit.  And still try to resist.

But every rule has an exception and here comes mine…..if I have a gift card, a coupon of some kind or some Drugstore dollars, then purchasing is permitted.  Within reason.  And with some limits.  And I have to say, I’ve probably never been as excited to hit up Drugstore.com as I was today.  10% off.  Drugstore Dollars to burn.  Let the games begin:

There were some essentials I needed (I’ll spare you the details) and while hair products may not be on everyone’s essential list, but you can bet the farm it’s on mine.  So I used to be an avid fan of Fekkai’s whole line. Everything smelled delish and worked well. But then Sephora stopped selling it and while I could obvi find it at about 100 other places, I used it as an excuse opportunity to break new ground. 

I'd like your hair. And your hubby.
But then about two years ago when I was growing my hair long again, I realized it was time to protect it from all the hair drying and flat ironing and curling ironing that was going on.  That’s when I came across Fekkai’s Coiff line.

This gem of a product is a leave condition that’s supposed to protect my delicate little hair from all these heat damage I impose on it in a very, very vain effort to not look like a complete disaster.  Such is the plight of the somewhat curly-haired girl who doesn’t have that great effortless curly hair, or even that great full-of-effort wavy hair.  But no matter what I do with my hair I spray this stuff in and am convinced my hair (and my life for that matter) are the better for it.  Or else I just needed the high from spending the $25 on this bottle of amped up water because it’s been thirteen days and I needed a fix. 

(But really...I swear…It works.)

Another thing that works – Yes To Carrots lip balm.  I used to swear by the Whole Foods lip balm, but since there wasn’t one in my neck of the hood until this fall, hoofing it across town for $5.00 lip balm didn’t always happen.  Now I swear by Yes! in Melon and it’s so damn good.  (And organic too!)  Sometimes it’s the little things that make me the happiest.  I have this in my purse, gym bag, nightstand, desk at work, make-up box and some in reserve.  If you’re on the market for something new, or always up for trying something new, pick this up. It comes in a whole host of flavors if Melon isn’t exactly your thing (no judgment).  It’s not even $4.  If everything I worshipped were that cheap I’d be a much richer girl!

But since nothing in life is free….and very few are cheap….I’m in the freeze.

And then I started to feel my resistance wane.  I swung by Duane Reade yesterday for some milk and tissues (good god that sounds pathetic, doesn’t it).  And I just couldn’t resist the urge to make a hard right when I walked in and check out the OPI display.  I’m like a moth to the flame.  And my stomach flips at the sight of “Live and Let Die” from the 007 collection.  (Yes…it’s preposterous that there’s a James Bon line of nailpolish, but whatevs.)  I managed to put the bottle back down.  Back away.  And walk out of the store without it.  

But I couldn’t get it out of my head all day.  It’s this cool hunter green with some gold undertones.  I’ve been looking for a great dark green since last fall, but ever color I found was matte and I don’t do matte polish.  The fact that I also happened to have “Tomorrow Never Dies” next to my TV for when I’m ready for a bit of Brosnan as Bond is just a sign from above.  Or a rationalization from a shopaholic.

So like any good junkie I worked a trip into Duane Reade into my day.  I had to hit up two different stores in my post-workout, swing by Whole Foods mission to get it.  And in a totally oddity that perhaps only makes sense in an NYC drugstore, a woman stopped me while I was in the nail polish section….to ask me for help….because she thought I was a Duane Reade employee. 

Now while this should seem at the very least, bizarre, on the most fundamental level (and I don’t mean that in some snotty way…I’m a CVS alum)….I’d like to point out what I looked like when this woman…in ALL seriousness….asked me for help….then asked me if I worked there…and then apologized quite nicely when I politely said I didn’t.  I made the excursion after running on a treadmill at the gym.  So I was wonderfully flushed (beet red), in workout pants and a fleece and a baseball cap…with headphones in my ears…and my gym bag slung across me….while carrying a shopping bag from Whole Foods.  Do I look like I work there?

Anyway…the important part of this story is I walked out with a bottle of nail polish.  And while I’m not quite sure how it’s going to look, here’s the before for anyone interested (the picture does it zero justice). Here’s hoping it meets exceeds my expectations. Will report back on that. 

For now….the Red Carpet is done and the show is underway.  Tina and Amy were hysterical.  It’s time to do my nails.  Leo already lost, but I’m picking myself up.  I’m obsessed with award shows for so many reasons…the fashion….the celebrity….the acceptance speeches that make me cry….rooting for my favorites…tearing up when they don’t win….and dreaming about what it would be like to be there…dressed by Rachel Zoe…with a nomination for a writing award. 

I’ll be back with my very own fashion review, because I also like to pretend that I can be on Fashion Police and be all chummy and witty and fashionista-y with Guliana and Kelly and Joan and George. 

Until then, someone….please….go out and spend money and think of me while you’re doing it. I’m sure I’ll have some physical reaction like ringing ears….or the ringing of cash registers. 





No comments:

Post a Comment