Thursday, January 3, 2013

Field of Dreams…By Way of My Closet


My first memory of being really fashion inspired, by something I found in a magazine was a Lisa Bonet photo shoot in Seventeen magazine.  This was pre-Angel Heart (i.e. before the controversy).  Pre-pre-Lenny and Zoe.  She was wearing this oversized men's blazer and chunky jewelry and a hat (And despite endless hours minutes of internet searching I can't find the damn picture.)  

At the time I had a really cool friend who didn't give a crap what anyone thought and had an amazing sense of style even at the ripe old age of 12.  She convinced me I needed to wear the Lisa B. outfit to school and while I didn't have an ounce of cool on my side, my friend provided the chunky jewelry and my mom agreed to let me wear one of my dad's jackets and off I went to school....insecure, afraid of what everyone would think, and hoping to get a little Lisa by osmosis.

This was all solidified when A Different World came out and I was introduced to Marisa Tomei's style.  I could only dream of pulling that off, but in true wannabe style, I had the blue plaid skirt and Converse in an effort to try.  Apologies for the crap quality of this, but oh how it takes me back!



For years after, I played it all pretty safe, in the suburban uniform of Guess jeans, Benetton, ESPRIT, Outback Red and Express (Hammer pants and all!).  There were snippets of style (in my humble opinion) and some out of the comfort zone things...like lace-up leather boots (jeans rolled to the top of them...obvi).  But with mom footing the bill the prom dress was full of flowers as only Scott McClintock could do.

But by senior year, 90210 was on the air and I found some new style icons in Brenda and Kelly....and I found inspiration in them in years to come.  One of my favorites was this floral dress she wore in Season 1 in the Fashion Show/My Mom Is a Coke Head episode.  

This photo does zero justice to the fact that she was also wearing giant poofy white socks and black lace up shoes....two accessories I added when I took wore my floral dress.  It was a look Brenda Walsh also rocked.  Maybe it was because the big poofy socks made our legs look that much slimmer, but either way, I was hopelessly devoted to it.  God, I thought I was amazing.  

I went so far as to the get the B-list of the infamous prom dress....mine had a red bow instead of white.  But I have to say, for a girl who spent a good chunk of time hiding in oversized sweaters, the post-mono body did have its privileges....thanks to some 9021-0verconfidence!

But with time comes maturity and changes in taste and hopefully improvements in style.  But regardless of what I'm wearing, I still fully glean some great inspiration from magazines and website and movies and TV shows.  And even more so than in my youth, when I see something I like on a character or actress I love, the obsession switch flips and on a mission I go….for certain dresses or tops or shoes or jewelry or whole outfits or….well, you get the idea.

And I’m finding there is no place better to look these days than good old ABC, which happily has a host of amazingly great, kick-ass female characters played by amazingly great, kick ass actresses (or actors, if we were watching the SAG awards…where there is no gender apparently).  So cool chicks and great clothes on top. Is it any wonder I can spend endless hours in front of the boob tube?  (Like I really need an excuse......)

But snagging a little piece of these characters is a bit like living in the fantasy.  I get the power of these woman through the fashion.  It’s my own version of “if I build it he will come”.  You know what I mean….

So here comes nothing (or rather everything):

Emily Thorne - oh what I could do with her $500 million inheritance....

yes, please
I got sucked into this show as if I was standing in quicksand.  Season 1 was nothing short of amazing.  Week to week, the plot kept me hooked and the fashion made for terrific eye candy (rivaling Daniel for that role in the show.  Me likey!).

Season 2 has new twists…and while I’m the first to confess I was a bit skeptical at first that they could pull off another round of Revenge, I’m willing to suspend disbelief every Sunday night.  And while a lot of her amazing gowns would never make sense in my life, I do love that she has a casualish, relatable side too and it only took one episode this year to get me hooked. Behold the Marc Jacobs top.

Simple.  Versatile.  Classic.  Investment.  Chic.  And while I just so happen to already have a brown cardi to wear with it if I really want to get single white stalker, there’s a whole host of other things to throw on top.  Love.  (Loved it more when I found it on sale!)

I could so be a multi-bizillioaire, martial arts expert, with great taste, who can speak multiple languages and pretty much keep my head in the gave even while keeping company with Daniel "thank you sir, may I have another" Grayson. 

It's true what they say...good clothes open all doors. 



Olivia Pope  - Scandal Style:

She’s powerful and whip smart and biting and tough and strong and decisive and kind of has a messed up personal life.  But that’s what happens, I suppose, when you are sleeping with the President.  In the Oval Office.  Yet you can’t help but root for her. Or at least I can’t. 

She has a seriously amazing wardrobe and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do winter white better…pants, coats, ball gowns.  This woman is flawless.  And a powerhouse.  And this sweater is the most delicious thing I’ve seen in a long time:



This picture does it zero justice, but it looks as comfy as a blanket and as chic as can be.  (I also apparently like the combo of brown sweaters and cream colored tops underneath.)

This one was a little harder to find, but after some seriously dedicated web surfing I found it.  (What did people do before the internet???).  This was a pricier purchase that I seriously debated the necessity of.  Truth be told, I didn’t need it. I have more sweaters than any girl needs.  But I love them.  And love to be cozy and the bell sleeves are just perfection. 

Then I found it….on sale….but it still seemed way to ridic indulgent.  I can justify a lot but even I had a hard time with this, as my closet busted out through the broken accordion door that mocks me every time I walk through the front door.  This was not necessary.  I could live without it.  Life would go on, right? 

But then there was a really Really REALLY bad few days at work.  And shopping to reward crappy days is always justified, and I knew, suddenly, in an ephiphany kind of way, that this was a sign….that this was fate….telling me that to make up for the crap I’d been putting up with I should have this sweater. 

WWOPD? 

(c’mon….What Would Olivia Pope Do?) 

She would kick ass at work and put people in their place and look damn good while she did it. She’s a force to reckon with.  I want to be a force!  And then fate dealt me an even better hand….back to Ralph Lauren and an even deeper discount was in pre-Christmas effect.  Click.  Click. Click.  Buy.

Kate Beckett - Muse in Action....with an inspiring wardrobe to boot!

I’ve already written about my loveof her leather jackets, which brought me to buy this amazingness here on the right.  Still obsessed with the color.   I’m still not totally convinced I can pull this off as well at Beckett does, but 2013 is a time for trying something new, so I’m going to push out of my comfort zone and go with some leather.  (Because leatha is foreva!)
But she’s got the best jackets.  Lots of leather ones.  Some duds in the mix, but I’m loving this one.  Unfortunately as I’m not made of money and yesterday was the first day of anti-spending spree, this will remain in the dream sequence for the timing being.  But you know what they say…..you can’t always get what you want…..so perhaps leaving this in the land of lust is just what I need….

It's a $900 Helmut Lange jacket.  Love it. But after the Olivia Pope sweater, my Beckett days are going to have to wait.  After all I'm officially on the spend freeze....stop laughing...seriously...I can do this.  One day at a time!  At this rate I might make it through the week!

On a total other note, I'm very excited to see what these ladies show up at the Globes wearing. ***Spoiler Alert*** - I’m thinking a "Red Carpet in Review" post may be coming your way.  Wait for it….
And in something related to nothing...it's 1.3.13.  Lots of luck...good....or bad....or voiding each other out I suppose. But I said it earlier today and I'll say it again. I'm crossing the fingers for something great to come my way. I'm overdue!  Making a wish!!!!
In the spirit of 90210 (which could be a blog in and of itself for me), I'll give you this song from Season 1, when Brandon's gf came to visit from Minnesota and after sleeping with Brandon, threw herself at Dylan....and then revealed to Brandon he wasn't her first.  That bitch!  
My bf at the time used to let me listen to this song in his car all the time.....go ahead....judge him.....but I thought it was sweet.  And the fact that they ripped the music from The Smiths just made me love it more!  Heart you always Morrissey!






No comments:

Post a Comment