Monday, March 19, 2012

Simon Le Bon In a Pirate Shirt....


I’ve spent the past week doing a lot of things, but sadly working on The Legacy has not been one of them. I've been reading about writing, but I  know, I know...WRITERS WRITE.  

I can procrastinate with the best of them and sometimes life just takes over.  No excuses (other than the one I just gave).  But I'm thinking new week -- clean slate.

I’ve had plenty to keep me distracted from my writing so in yet another ode to Andy Cohen, these are the things I’m obsessed with this week.

(Now I know I’ve played this song before.  Just think of it like another Inside the Actor’s Studio when James Lipton does his list of questions at the end…and for the record, one of least favorite words?  Moist.  Ugh.  Makes me cringe.)

#1:  Netflix streaming + Apple TV = one very.  happy.  girl. 

#2:  Mad Men:

Now I know I’ve gone on and on about a lot of TV shows here, and some of them may not be the best of the best.  (I’m looking at you One Tree Hill. And my eyes are burning.)  But I do actually have some good taste too.  What can I say?  I’m a Libra.  I need to balance everything out.

But Mad Men has been off the air for seventeen months and my blog has been on the air for fifteen, so while I could certainly have talked about it in the abstract, it’s going to be far more interesting to talk about it in real time.  I’ve been brushing up on my Season 4 episodes (thank you, Netflix) because I honestly don’t really remember how things ended in any true detail.  I cheated and started midway through the season – I couldn’t bear to watch Don Draper’s epic drunken, slutastic descent to rock bottom yet another time, so I started with “The Suitcase” which is by far one of the best episodes and love Peggy in this one.  Especially when she quite simply asks Don, “how long are you going to carry on like this?”

Season 4 is all uphill from there and after watching Like Crazy on Saturday, I was in dire need of something to laugh about.  (Side note – if you haven’t seen this movie, it’s good in an I’m-in-the-mood-for-something-indie-and-real-lifeish.  But be warned, it should have been called Like Crazy DEPRESSING.  Not even kidding a little.)  So for comic relief I literally laughed until there were tears in my eyes over the episode “The Beautiful Girls” when Don’s secretary, Mrs. Blakenship, dies at her desk.  The name alone is genius.  Her death and the aftermath are by far one of the funniest five minutes in Mad Men’s amazing history.  Brilliant!


I’m so so so excited for Sunday night.  Cannot wait to see what Matthew Weiner comes up with next.  Been a long time coming.

#3:  The Next Bailey Weggins Mystery:

Kate White's “So Pretty It Hurts” comes out tomorrow and I can’t wait. I’ve been reading the last Bailey Wiggins mystery to refresh my memory (do you see a theme here?).  But it came out in 2007.  I can’t remember everything!  Sadly it’s taken me longer than I hoped to read since mixing a Benadryl cocktail before bedroom almost always guarantees I won’t make it past 10 pages a night.  That won’t stop me from buying the new book and jumping right in after I finish the last 90 pages of this book.  Any excuse to hit up Barnes & Noble works for me!  All about supporting the bookstore so by the time I find an agent, physical books will still be getting printed.

#4:  Pretty Little Liars:

Judge if you wish.  Tonight is the big reveal on who A is and apparently is the most tweeted about show right now.  This show does twists so well, I’m not even sure where to begin guessing on who A is.  I do believe A is more than one person, but who those people are, I can’t quite tell.  I don’t think Mona was ballsy enough back when Ali was alive.  And I’m super suspect that Maya has something to do with it, but she moved to town after Ali disappeared so how will they connect those dots? 

I’m creeped out by the Melissa/Garrett coupledom, but that all seems a bit obvious given the clues in the past few weeks.  Have to believe that can’t be the answer.
All I know is I’m so bored to death with the Ezra storyline I kind of hope he gets arrested or run over by a car.  Seriously, Aria – go hang out with Jason.  Far more interesting storyline!

But come 8 p.m. I am locked in to find out!

#5:  The Music at the Gym:

I have a lot of love for Equinox for lots of reasons.  The extreme attention to cleaning and the fact that they are constantly updating equipment and replacing the floor mats are just some of the more obvious.  But one of the best parts of my beloved gym is the music.  There’s always a solid mix, to the point that I’m turning off my Shuffle to listen to what the Equinox DJ has cranking.  Green Day.  Fratellis.  Jet.  Ting Tings.  No Doubt. 

And then there’s always an 80s influence which I LOVE.  This morning didn’t disappoint when they dug this gem out of the archives.  Bra-vo!

Everything about this video is why videos from the early 80s will forever be the best.  The fact that John, Nick and Simon also got a 3-for-1 deal on their pirate shirts is just the cherry on top.  But no worries, Andy - I still love you the most.

Time to head to Rosewood. Anyone want to chime in on A's identity???


No comments:

Post a Comment