Sunday, May 12, 2013

Faking the tan...preserving the face....and worshiping Katie


I’m a firm believer in pampering oneself. In doing what makes happy. What makes you feel good. What makes you look good.  And feel good about how you look. 

So it’s Sunday and while I’m in the most major denial of what tomorrow morning brings (evil in a corporate package), I’m hanging onto even last minute of self-indulgence tonight.  And here’s some products I’ve loving (and not loving) right now:

  
Jergens Natural Glow

I'm a girl blessed with Casper-white skin and I'm fairly certain it actually repels the sun.  But it's that time of year when black opaque tights get stored until September.  Sigh. Farewell girl's best friend.  And I will admit I shudder at the thought of having to expose my legs to the world.  Not only because of the shame of being translucent, but also because I look like I've spent the winter locked up in a panic
room, totally Vitamin D deficient, and people give me weird looks.  Jerks.

Sidebar - you can save the lectures about being proud of what I was born with.  I know.  I shouldn't care what other people think.  I get it.  But it's not about them.  It's about me.   I  don't love my colorless skin.  And I'm not about to stand in a tanning booth or get a drippy, smelly, expensive spray tan.

So when one of my fair-skinned west coast friends boasted about this Jergens lotion...practically swore by it...I gave it a go.  And it does the trick.  And then some.  Subtle color after a few days.  And it keeps on building.  And it doesn't smell like suntan lotion or fake tanning cream.  

So slather it on ladies.  Proudly flash your legs around town. And walk the walk of a girl blessed with a great glow from head to toe.  (Rhyme not intentional.)



Many thanks to the lady at Saks for giving me some samples of this product.  It's amazing.  I wake up and my skin looks great.  Feels great.  And I swear with continued usage I might be able to freeze time...or at least slow it down...on my face.  Diminishes lines and wrinkles.  Rejuvenates.  Firms.  I mean, hello!  Miracle in a bottle here peeps!

The prospect of Botox or a face lift or plastic surgery scares the bejeezus out of me.  So my neck might eventually look like a chicken or a turkey or waddle and wrinkle (mmmm.....pretty).   But that's what scarves and turtlenecks are for.  And sure, my hands will eventually age and wrinkle and might give me  away.  But that's what amazing nail polish colors and hand creams are for.  

And I hope...I pray...I believe, that committing to yet another La Mer product (my fourth and counting) will keep me looking my amazing thirtysomething self for many, many years to come.  I won't lie, ladies. It's an investment.  But it will last forever.  And what's more important to invest in than yourself?     



Alterna – Kendi Dry Oil Mist

I am ALWAYS  on the lookout for something that will make my hair smoother  and shinier and fuller and less frizzy and less splitty.  And also something that might possibly keep my bangs from wanging out in 12 different directions at the mere mention of the word humidity.  And while this product doesn’t do all that, it does achieve the shiny and protects my hair from all that heat and all the styling tools I rain down upon it.

Now sure, one reason I got it was I had a 15% off coupon for Sephora (holler for being a VIB) and while searching the site to figure out just how to spend my discount, I stumbled upon Alterna.  And sure I’m always game for trying something new. But when I found out that Katie Holmes was not only the new spokesperson but also a co-owner….well, I have one word for you…DONE.

I'm pretty completely Katie obsessed in her pre and post Tom world. (Not a fan during the Stepford Scientology days.)  Joey.  Pieces of April.  The Romantics.  The fashion.  

Loving the mist.  My hair looks way better  (Though that could also be the 3" of dead weight I had hacked off).  So pretty pleased with my hair, on the non-humid days.  And still hoping one day that I can look this effortlessly amazing.

 






Bumble and Bumble - Texture

And then there's this. Before I discovered Alterna and was looking for something to give me some oomph I gave this a go.  And now I'm going to let it go.  Such a major letdown.

Let me first say, that I love Love LOVE B&B.  I worship at their shampoo and conditioner. I have tried a multitude of products and been happy with them (though nothing fights humidity or protects against heat styling....yet).

But Texture should really be called Paste. Because that's what it is.  It may as well be glue.  I used a small amount and it was like some gross version of psycho-hold something where I could pull my hair in all sorts of directions and it held.  Like 80s hair band directions.  Horrible.  Never mind how it felt.  Immediately washed my hair and had to start all over again.

I do so love you, Bumble, but you let me down on this one.  I'm only sorry I threw out the receipt because now it's going in the trash.  Cautionary tale, there.  At least I didn't buy the full-sized tube.  Rats!  Drat!  $&*#$(@!


So with that, it's Sunday night and I officially need to wind down and deny the alarm clock.  And stay tuned...it's finale week for Scandal, Revenge and Castle.  And a new episode of Housewives will be on tomorrow.  And some celeb is bound to do something worth chatting about.  So more on all of that to come.  

And if you have any products to rave about...or warn us about...then please, share, share away!


No comments:

Post a Comment