Monday, January 30, 2012

Life's a Show...

“What is there but a dream?
Dream big.  Dream fierce.” 
- Viola Davis in her SAG award speech
Have to say I kind of love this quote.  Could be where I’m at...all about the dream...but it gave me chills in that good way.  I spent the weekend working on editing and updating my agent submission of the book-that-will-finally-land-me-an-agent-and-therefore-land-me-my-dream, or The Legacy for short.  I think I’ve made some good strides and tightened it up and cut out some crap (2,000 words of it, which is much harder than it sounds).  I fixed the beginning so it’s less forced and hopefully makes people want to keep reading.  I need to raise the stakes a bit and perfect the query, which is what scares me the most, and then I’m good to go.  So no problem, right? 
Famous last words.  Which is why I gave my brain a break and tuned into the SAG awards.  Having something to actually look forward to on a Sunday night is a lot of a novelty, so I was all in.  
Now I have to say, the award show as a whole was kind of a snooze.  I don’t like it when my people don’t win. No love for The Good Wife.  Tina Fey didn’t take home the crown.  WTF?  She’s amazing/kind of my hero in lots of ways .....On a sidebar, I FINALLY bought Bossypants on Saturday and cannot wait to dive into it after I finish the behemoth 400+ page Patricia Cornwell I’ve embarked on.  Now don’t get me wrong, it’s a great book so far.  But when my reading time is pretty much limited to the 20 minutes before I fall asleep in bed, often waking up about an hour later with the book on my chest, well it’s hard to make much respectable progress....


But back to the SAGs.  I have yet to figure out what makes Modern Family so great.  I’ve seen a few clips that I think are funny (the guy dramatically screaming “Stella!” when they are looking for the lost dog pops to mind).  But other than that...not so much.  And the kids doing the acceptance speech?  So annoying.  I don’t do shtick.  I also don’t have any pay cable, so don’t know anything about Boardwalk Empire except that Jen Lindley’s old boyfriend Henry is in it.  I was kind of hoping for a Michelle Williams/Michael Pitt reunion moment for old time's sake.  Please tell me I’m not the only one!  
And where were all the emotional speeches where people are blubbering and blabbering and screeching in total excitement?  It was like everyone who won an award knew it was coming and they walked up the stage like a person walking up to the counter to order a Big Mac.  Where’s the screaming OMG! I can't believe this is happening to me drama?  It just felt like a lot of too cool for school.  Other than the guy from The Artist (aka the man behind the total Clooney Best Actor upset and the man who just made the race for Oscar a hell of a lot more interesting!), Viola Davis seemed to be the only person who was A.) genuinely shocked and B.) didn’t have a prepared speech that was kind of devoid of emotion.  So thank you Viola!  It was worth 2 hours of Red Carpet and almost 2 hours of awards to wait for your quote.  

I have to confess I haven’t even see The Help yet, which is shameful given my total girl crush on Emma Stone, but I’m sure you were amazing...and you had me crying with you.  You too are going to make the Oscar race one to watch.  Maybe we’ll get some good crazy speeches along the lines of Roberto Benigni or Cuba Gooding Jr. or Halle Berry or Adrien Brody (though that was more so in a creepy way...sorry Halle) and of course Sally Field which everyone references, and Matt and Ben when they won for Good Will Hunting.  

Ah, the good old days.  
So thank God for the Red Carpet to inject some excitement into the night.  I do kind of totally love it and while I could go on and on, I'm going to cheat and just go with a whole lot of pictures.  Behold!  My favorites:










So gorgeous.  I wonder what it must be like to decide between McQueen and Valentino.  An existence I may never know.  Unless of course The Legacy gets optioned into a movie and I of course will write the screenplay...get nominated...and WIN!  Don't mind me...just dreaming fierce!

But even the SAGs have to come to an end.  And while the Red Carpet was pretty much error free, I did hear some uber disturbing wardrobe malfunction news on E! tonight.  Apparently Celine Dion *flashed* the audience of her show last night.  She didn’t connect the dots between really short dress + a stage high above the audience + kicking her leg up in the air.  I mean the woman can sing, but ugh.  Celine, dear, what you have is an indoor cat.  Let’s keep it clean and leave the below the belt shots to LL and Brit-Brit and Paris.
And since there’s no way I’m ending on that note, allow me to go back to a much happier place....a place of Clooney.  What can I say?  Despite the obvious totally handsome factor (are you DYING for this picture?!??!), he seems like the coolest dude.  He’s the man who makes the ladies swoon and seems like the kind of guy other guys would want to hang out with.  Hell, the kind of guy that girls just want to hang to with.  I had the extreme pleasure of seeing him up close and personal here in NYC when he was filming Michael Clayton and ladies, he does not disappoint.  He.  Looked.  AMAZING.  I was so relieved to find out that he’s not 5’4” in real life or that he was a douche.  He posed for pictures.  Waved.  Smiled.  I DIE!  So heads up, he’s going to be on Inside the Actor’s Studio on Tuesday night so tune in.  It’s bound to be a keeper!
And cue up the DVR because Ringer is back tomorrow night too.  I’m going to officially have way too much TV to keep up with, but am going to do my damnedest to get it all in.  And the fact that I figured out that they replay episodes of Buffy on the Chiller channel in the morning, just officially made it that much harder for me to be able to get out the door in the morning.  This morning’s ep was early in Season 3 when Buffy finds out that Angel isn’t really dead.  OMG!  I got chills.  Joss Whedon is a genius.
And in the spirit of genius, Once More, With Feeling:
"Where there's life, there's hope!"

No comments:

Post a Comment