Saturday, December 24, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside...

My window for Christmas music is a small one, and yes, this is obvious, but who cares?  Without any further ado:




Well it's certainly cold out there.  But why not?  It's winter.  And it actually feels like it.  I'm digging out the hat and gloves for tomorrow.  And I have to say while I do like the general idea of a white Christmas, since I'm traveling tomorrow I'm happy that it's going to be a sunny Christmas, sans snow.  If I want to think about the snow I can close my eyes real tight and remember the storm of the season that blew in last year right after Christmas. (Or the one that blew in this year for Halloween...aka the lost weekend trapped in the 'burbs without power.)

But, hey! it's the most wonderful time of the year.  Or so I've heard.  And I'm FINALLY almost totally in the holiday spirit zone.  I mailed out my cards.  I stocked up on more eggnog.  I wrapped all my gifts.  And I baked my mint mini brownies.  Done.  Done.  And done.  

So first up, I have to give major thanks to Real Simple for the amazing recipe for the mini mint brownies.  I should preface this by saying, I'm not a baker.  Or a chef.  I'm a simpleton in the kitchen and my kitchen is the size of most people's closet, so anything beyond toast and coffee can be a logistical challenge.  That said makes today's victory is even sweeter:


The crushed candy canes are optional, but since I'm taking these babies on the road with me tomorrow, I may save the garnish for later.  Plus I'm pretty greedy with my candy canes (yet another thing that has a small window for enjoyment) so I may hoard these to enjoy later with my stockpiled eggnog.

And with me, being me, I've also managed to squeeze in some quality TV time.  I had a dangling vacation day (use it or lose it) and spent a good chunk of it FINALLY seeing what all the hype is about when it comes to Revenge.



Okay.  I am officially so late to this party (10 episodes late to be exact) and I have to say....better late than never.  It may be cold outside but to quote Emily Thorne, my new most favorite person, "They say vengence is a dish best served cold but, sometimes it's as warm as a bowl of soup."...and she poisons Conrad's soup so he can get busted with his mistress.  And that's just the pilot.  Trust me when I say there is no better way to spend the cold days ahead.  If you haven't already seen this show, catch up!  So good.  Just like Ringer I'll be coming back to Revenge a lot in the posts to come.  I literally just watched all ten episodes (thank you iTunes)...and yes, I've maybe watched some of them more than once.  But the pilot is that freaking good.  Just do it.  There's mystery, intrigue, backstabbing, best-kept-secrets (and the not so best-kept ones), people with way too much money, cheating, drinking, fashion, the Hamptons, lying, stealing and yup! revenge.  I'm obsessed.

And in the land of things I won't question, watching the show is actually inspiring me to write. I think it's that whole see-something-great-makes-me-want-to-write-something-great.  I made a commitment to 75,000 words by year end and I'm realizing that even with time off from work that's a bit on the ambitious side, but I'm up for the challenge. As of today, I'm 66,586 words and counting.  (Killing off another character certainly helped with the latest word surge!)

As for another thing that was better than expected, I also just watched Friends With Benefits.  Four full times.  Don't judge.  Though that could also explain the Justin Timberlake cameo in this afternoon's nap dream.  (And bee-tee-dubs, ten more days with nap potential makes me beyond happy.)  But back to FWB...I thought it might be entertaining.  I've gone on record already with my awe of JT and was curious how he'd do in this one.   (And SOOOOO happy he wasn't playing a singer or an aspiring singer in a movie which would give him a reason to sing and dance.  Britney.  Cough!  Cough!  Crossroads.  Cough!  Cough!)  But it was actually, legitimately funny.  Like laugh out loud funny.  And smart.  And witty.  And certainly relatable in parts.  

I watched the opening five minutes about twenty times.  That funny.  Sadly it's hard to find the entire scene on You Tube (WTF?) but I did find a good chunk of it.  Now if you're not a fan of humor with four-letter words and some obscene references then I'd skip right past this. 



And not that there was ever any doubt, but once again Emma Stone kicks incredible ass.  She's the coolest girl in town.  Easy A was EPIC.  If you haven't already...you know the drill...get on that.  Immediately.  If not sooner.

And while my most favorite JT post-break up line didn't make this clip (and I'm not going to type it here for fear of offending a reader and fear of of this blog getting slapped with some kind of parental advisor warning).  So for now I'm going with this line, because I could hear myself  as Mila in this exchange:

"Don't lash out. You're better than that." - Andy S.
"I'm really not." -Mila K.

I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy the movie.  But I do have a gift card in hand and a Barnes & Noble down the block so there's a good chance this movie will be mine before 2011 is out.

But before I can even contemplate a trip to one of the greatest places on earth, I've got some packing to do before the big day.  So for now, channel the holiday spirit (I was singing along today while I baked).  And while it's near impossible for me to pick a favorite Christmas song this one ranks very high.  

I know it's a cover, but a truly amazing one at that.  You've got a great song.  Sung by U2 (in the Joshua Tree era).  Makes me want to just get up and dance.  And it lends to my rockstar fantasy of being the inspiration for my rockstar man's song...telling me to baby, please come home.  (Bono may not have penned this little diddy, but he did write The Sweetest Thing for his wife, so I know he's got it in him.)    




Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Enjoy the season whatever way makes you happy!  I said it before and I'll say it again...it's the most wonderful time of the year.  Why not enjoy it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment