Saturday, October 1, 2011

Too Much Time in TV Land

So I’ve been saying how I’m just so damn busy and just don’t have the time to sit down and write. But then I was watching The Rachel Zoe Project which I obviously do have time to watch (three times) and just watching an 8-month preggers RZ style, Oscar prep, vintage shop, move, shoot endorsements and stay on top of Fashion Week from 3,000 miles away kind of makes me feel like a total slacker.  I guess there’s a reason she has an EMPIRE.  And I have a studio apartment.  And an office job.

Apples and oranges. 

And I get it – she has a staff and money and assistants and a hubby and full on bestie who happens to do hair and make-up.  And there are some people who just have exceptional energy and are driven beyond belief and that’s why they are who they are and where they are.  And I’m, well, me.  LOL!  Again, I joke.  But I do find a certain inspiration in the show (and I won’t lie…love seeing what she’s wearing and what she’s buying).  The morale of this little story is that yes, I’m tired and busy (it’s all relative) but I can certainly find an hour in my day to write since, as my story goes, this is what I want to be doing.  Writing is my version of achieving an empire.

So here goes…

I ended my third week in the new job and I honestly forgot what it’s like to be the new girl on the block.  But I’m hangin’ tough.  Now I have to detour and say that I actually met some girls who are legit NKOTB fans.  As in saw them in their 2011 reunion concert in multiple cities.  So for no good reason I have New Kids on the brain.  I wasn’t actually an NKOTB fan.  And to be fair part of the reason I’m sure is because I missed the boat on the NKOTB craze seeing as how I was a little too…ahem…old…when they hit it big.  But I’ve somehow managed to find a spot in my brain for their song lyrics.  Capital of South Dakota?  Got me.   Yet I can burst into “Your first kiss was a sweet kiss.  Second kiss had a twist.  Third and your fourth kiss I don’t want to miss…You’ve got the right stuff, baby.”  Okay, so maybe I was a little bit of a closeted fan, but my friend’s little sister was into them, so that’s why.  Yeah…yeah…that’s the ticket.

But back to me…the new job is starting to feel less surreal.  The first week it felt like a temp gig that I was going to have to leave (kicking and screaming), forced back to the old job.  Week two I started to remember some names, found some really cool girls to talk about things like Ringer with, figured out where the conference rooms are and was actually able to calm down enough to articulate my ideas.  Week three and I’m in full blown meetings, having crazy days and am just being thrown into the fire which is so much better than sitting at a desk and reading an employee manual because I didn’t know what else to do. 

But then I come home every night and I’m dead tired and useless and manage very little beyond TV or a book or the necessity of laundry.  (Ashamed how long it's taking me to finish the latest book too.  Sooooo off my game!)  I guess there’s also some latent stress going on beneath the surface.  Like that whole idea that if you can get your ass into good enough shape (and your metabolism to do some latent burning) that you can magically burn calories while sitting on the couch and watching The Lying Game.  Oh, how I love me some teen drama.   

So yes, my “busy” nights have also been filled with catching up on my DVR.  It’s that tough time of year when new TV shows are coming out and baseball is heading into the post-season and a TV addicted Yankee fan is caught between a rock and a playoff game.  But I’ve managed to do some juggling and while I’m a week behind I’m not above some prelim reviews of what’s the what:

Ringer:

Three words.  Sarah.  Michelle.  Gellar.  Loved her since the blink-and-you-missed-it cheestastic teen soap Swan’s CrossingBuffy goes without saying.  Ditto for Cruel Intentions.  And now Ringer.  Let me break it down.

SMG plays slightly estranged twin sisters.  There’s Bridget, the bad twin who wants to make good.  (Recovering addict, witnessed a murder, fleeing the FBI to start over just for starters.)  Then there’s good twin Siobhan who it turns out is actually badder than the bad twin. (Cheat on your hubby and fake your own suicide much?)  So Bridget assumes Siobhan’s identity and you guessed it…her upper east side life isn’t so charmed after all.  (Um, there’s sort of a hit out on her that her hubby may or may not have ordered.)  Dum, dum, dum.  (That’s my attempt at sinister music.)

It’s the CW’s version of film noir.  It's got the hot guy from Life, Interrupted.  There’s some bad special effects during the boat scene.  Mystery.  Intrigue.  And dead bodies that go missing.  If you weren’t hooked at S-M-G and you aren’t hooked by now, I’m at a loss. 

Next. 

The Rachel Zoe Project:

Should go without saying, that I’m obsessed.  Her one-liners are great this year.  Her clothes and jewelry are always mah-jor (to steal a Zoeism).  Loving everyone and don’t want it to stop.  I even watched Rachel peddle her line on QVC.  There’s a good chance I have a problem.

Castle:

The first episode was kind of on the dark side, which I suppose it had to be given that Beckett was shot in the finale.  I do prefer Castle when it’s lighter and comical. Sort of on the Remington Steele side of TV mystery.  But I’m sucked in and do really want to know who killed Beckett’s mother.  Also curious how they’ll handle the whole will they/won’t they this season. So far they’ve done a great job at keeping the tension alive without it getting ridiculous.  Plus a show about a successful mystery writer. Um, hello, dream, this is Audrey.

The Secret Circle:

I should really be more embarrassed than I am about this one. Now I will confess that part of the allure is this one is that it's based on an apparently very successful teen book series a la Pretty Little Liars.  But seeing as how I'm not 16 that really shouldn't be an endorsement for me to tune in.  Alas there are witches.  And the teen drama I kill for.  The daughter from Life, Interrupted. (Glad to see the CW is loyal to their actors from defunct shows.)  Jackpot, right?  Well I have to admit this was pretty painful even for me.  That said, I watched the first two episodes and recorded the third. I don’t like to give up too easily. 

Oh the absolute shame.  And sorry I have no
idea what any of your names are.
Short version – girl’s mother dies in mysterious fire.  Dad died right after she was born so she’s conveniently an orphan which opens the door for her to return to her mother’s hometown to be raised by her grandmother.  She then meets the children of her dead mother’s friends and what do you know….everyone is a freaking witch, including our main character.  (Bee-tee-dubs, I’m calling the main character “she” because I didn’t retain one person’s name.)  But orphan girl completes the magic witchy circle (which obvi must be kept a secret) and now they all have uber power  and did some ritual that makes them forever linked.  And you guessed it again!  They don’t all really like each other.  But they need each other.  Yeah, I know, it’s awful.  It even pains me to write about it.

That said, there are love triangles and general high school cliqueness and out of control witchcraft (oh boy did they make it rain...like literal hurricane) and bitchiness and some of the parents kept some secret crystal (everything is a secret in this creeper town) so they too can’t do some witchy-witch magic, even though they were supposed to be stripped of their powers when things got all out of hand some fifteen years ago.  Yup.  Bad just became worse.

I’m pretty sure I should have let this one go already, but it’ll provide some good background noise when I’m cleaning.  Plus I’m confident there will be some prize of a one-liner in there somewhere that I’ll need to relay.

Glee:

Finally back to the magic formula of Season 1.  Broadway music. Core characters.  Rachel being Rachel.  Kurt being Kurt. Only now he’s plus Blaine (who is the best thing that’s happened to the show besides Gwenyth and Idina). They’re doing West Side Story.  Mr. Shue is with Emma.  Sue is being Sue. If it ain’t broke……

Big thanks for two great episodes so far.  I’m back in.  Wholeheartedly. 



 The Good Wife:

I have my parents to thank for this one.  So if you’re not tuned in, get thee to your Nexflix account and begin at the beginning.  (Otherwise you will be so confused.)  There’s so much going on that I can’t even attempt to explain it.   But the Will and Alicia chemistry.  The still mystery of Kalinda.  Alan Cumming is genius.  (And love that I caught the tail end of Josie and the Pussycats while getting ready for work the other day.)  By far one of the best shows on TV in a very long time. 

Real Housewives:

Everything about watching the Beverly Hills season just feels wrong to me.  Even I have limits.  I’m watching.  But sort of with my hand over my eyes like I’m watching a horror movie.  I may have to let this one go.

What I am looking forward to though is the new New York cast.  I did tune into the post-firing interviews from Jill and Silex (who seem to be hinting at a spin-off.  Seri?  I beg you Bravo, DON’T DO IT!).  As for the ladies’ who won’t be returning….karma, karma, karma. 

And then there was baseball...



Okay, so last night’s game was postponed for rain, yet I still didn’t manage to get to the other shows that are filling my DVR - Desperate Housewives (Apple TV made me a slightly obsessed fan. Love the dark and twisty humor.)  Body of Proof (I’m one click away from dumping this show).  Gossip Girl.  I don’t even remember last season.  This is background noise with occasional good fashion.  I just keep hoping Chuck will go back to Season 1 Chuck and then maybe the show will be fun again. 

I know there’s other crap on there, but my mind is officially Jell-O.   It’s a wonder I make it out the door or off the couch or a hundred other things.  It reminds me of when I was little, planted in front of the TV (sometimes because we were sick…sometimes we were just plopped on the couch), my dad used to say my sister and I had boobitis.  (For those colored confused right now, boob tube = TV and too much TV = boobitis.)  So I’m fully looking forward to a Sunday of boobitis since there seems to yet again be a chance of rain for I think the 10th day in a row (this rain in making me mental).

Tonight's ALDS game has a good shot of getting played and there another one tomorrow.  And while I’d happily spend the day shopping for clothes I don’t need, when I should be home cleaning out my closet of all the clothes I already have and don’t need, I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a lot of TV in my short-term future and I promise to tell you all about it.  The good. The bad.  The humiliating.

Happy watching!  


And if you too need a break from the boob tube I did manage to find a new song to be OBSESSED with.  Loving everything about this one.  






The entire song is one great lyric, but must single out "I simmer then I burn for a someone.  A wrong one." and "Maybe.  It's a vicious little word that could slay me."  Brilliant!  Who hasn't been there?



No comments:

Post a Comment