Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Falling for You


On Saturday night life took a turn for the better. A turn for autumn.  Cold air finally busted through.  The temperature dropped a good twentry degrees.  It kicked humidity’s ass.  And rain aside, the first taste of fall finally fell.

Now if I was a good blogger I would remember if I’ve already spent time going on and on about how much I think that fall is the most wonderful time of year.  But check the date on my last entry and after you run out of fingers and toes to count on for how many days it’s been between then and now, just stop and trust me when I say it’s been way way waaaaaaaaaay too long.  (Which is not to say I’m a *bad* blogger.  Just a really busy one and when I do have free time I’ve either been socializing or being lazy.  Or reading books.  No really.  Check the list on my home page.  Four new additions.  And hey, at least I’m an honest procrastinating slacker.)

So apologies as I may have said it before and I'll say it again...these first couple of months ending in "ber" are kind of amazing.  And kind of my favorites for so many reasons.  And I’ve always thought of fall to be a sort of New Year’s.  Screw January and it's ice and cold.  This is where it's at. 

Maybe it was the back-to-school thing (Best. Shopping. Ever.).  Maybe it was the change of season.  Or maybe, just maybe, it's that my new year starts when, well, my actual new year starts.  (“You say it’s your birthday” – sung in an Anthony Michael Hall/The Geek way.)  Yup, that’s the ticket. Give me a Carvel cake (OMG...would die for some crunchies right now) and we can call it a party.  ("Party")

So here I am.  Fall is in the air.  Birthday is breathing down my neck.  And after weeks upon months of what’s felt at times like a Groundhog Day work life where I’m forever swimming up stream.  What's felt like months with a cough that won’t quit and nights where there’s not enough sleep and too many days of endless, oppressive humidity and it's been a rough summer stretch.  "It's always darkest before the dawn."  

Cue the inspirational track and it’s like I’ve officially turned a corner too:



Time to hit the restart….get it together….climb out of the rut….get the resolutions back on track…..get myself back on track….and the writing on track….and the blogging on track….and turn the a/c off and whip the windows open and just start over.  New year.  New start.

And here we go.....

I’ll spare you the “To Do” list….(I know you don’t really care.)  But what I will impose on you are all the reasons why I’m starting to get that bounce back in my step.  Sure presents under the tree are nice and feeling the sun on your face is a true simple pleasure, but what’s happening outside right now is the best of the best.....


I'm cheating because this picture was actually taken in 2009.

In Belgium.

But I do so love this picture, which I also happen to have prominently placed in my apartment because, quite simply, it reminds me of.... 
  
Why I Heart Fall Most of All:
  • The air is crisp. 
  • My hair stands half a chance of looking decent.
  • And I don’t have to strategically pin it so that the curls don’t have a chance to form between home and work but the bobby pins also don’t leave evil little dent marks everywhere.
  • The subway platform isn’t an oven anymore.
  • Sweaters. Pulling out the old and having a reason to buy new ones.
  • Leaves. 
  • Changing colors.  Yellows and oranges and green = the best!
  • Layers.
  • Fall just has a certain wonderful smell.  Sometimes it makes me want to go for a walk. Sometimes it makes me want to drink a Harpoon Octoberfest outside.
  • Jeans on Friday aren't physically oppressive.
  • Deciding where to get a drink after work isn’t limited only to places with air-conditioning. 
  • And the cool air on the rooftop bars weeds out the weak. 
  • Black tights make everything better.
  • And the black boots are dusted off and are back in the front of the closet, waiting for their first day out.
  • The playoffs.  162 games all for this.
  • Cool weather is so much better to sleep in, my dear.
  • And being wrapped in a blanket on the couch with the window open ready to take a nap on a weekend afternoon is so cozy.
  • I don’t have to explain why I don’t have a tan or feel self conscious about my white white legs.  Someone this summer actually called me translucent.  (Really? Why are people such jerks?  Not necessary.)
  • New episodes of my favorite TV shows are back!  The Good Wife = really good (thought the Kalinda and her ex thing is a little weird for my taste).  Revenge = off to a very good Season 2. (I’m rooting for you, Emily and Daniel!). Castle = I’m hopefully optimistic.  (I’ve only seen one ep and like it much better when it’s not all dark and insane. Lighten it up, please!  Find your sense of humor again.)
  • I have a shot of finishing our walk of the High Line without sweat inducing sun and humidity. 
  • I may be crazy but the city seems a little less crowded right now.
  • A/C is off.  Real air is coming through my open windows.
  • The Great Pumpkin will be on soon enough.  (Actual Halloween I could do without.  Candy Corn I should do without but won't.)
  • It’s not too hot for a Caramel Macchiato or a cup of tea at night.
  • Flip flops are retired.  Cozy socks come out.  Pedicure need to happen regardless.  Just saying. 
  • My certain velour track pants are perfect for lounging around in.
  • Labor Day sales. Columbus Day sales.  Veterans' Day sales.  You get the picture.
  • National Novel Writing Month is 22 days away.  (That one actually kind of scares me.)
  • And then there's Central Park....also an old pic...but it was so warm out this year the leaves haven't turned yet. So I have this to look forward to:



Love.  Love.  LOVE.

See...most wonderful time of year.

And while this song has absolutely nothing to do with fall (are there *any* songs actually about fall?  Autumn Nights?  Don't think so.) there is something oddly optimistic about it even though it is also devastating heartbreaking.  Kudos Chris Martin. 

Anydigression, this Unplugged episode premiered last week (hence, it counts for fall) and I have to say while the original can bring me to tears, I was surprised that this version did too.  May have been the multiple glasses of wine I was drinking earlier that night, or perhaps the fact that this is just a really really unexpectedly great cover.  My only question....why the hell isn't iTunes selling this yet?


"Lights will guide you home.  And ignite your bones."


No comments:

Post a Comment