Monday, June 27, 2011

This is the place, where everything's better...


I’m the first to admit I can be pretty negative about things.  When I’m struggling or frustrated or so tired I can’t fathom doing anything beyond crawling into bed, my mood and my outlook get all sorts of dark and cranky.  What can I say?  I’m human.  And there are some days when it’s just too hard to put on a smile and try to find that silver lining. 

And then something happens that reminds me that life is way to short to be a cranky ball of bitch and moan.  No body wants to hang out with that.  Or be that.  Just like the chicken pox, I fully believe toxicity is contagious.  I work with it all day long and well, I don't want to turn into one of those people.  So I’m consciously flipping the bitch and moan switch off (at least for today) and instead focusing on things that please me.  Things that lift my mood.  Things that, dare I say, make me smile.  So here goes…

Vacation!  I just booked my tix for a girl’s trip - two weeks in Portugal.  We went last September and it was amazing.  So excited for another chance at an adventure.  And to dance until 7 a.m. to 90s music in literal dark, underground clubs that let you put your drinks on a tab that you pay at the door to get out.  And while I remember getting drinks (some sort of Fanta orange and liquor combo) I don’t remember ever paying on the way out.  Hmmmmmmm.

Fresh strawberries.  Peanut butter.  Ice-cold Diet Coke.  Starbucks Peppermint Mocha.  Flatbread pizza. Breyer’s Mint Chocolate Chip ice-cream. Always.  And forever.  But not all at the same time. 

The fact that The City is now available for streaming over Apple TV.  I plowed through the first six episodes of Season 1 yesterday.  Oh how I missed Olivia’s puss and Whitney’s “job” at DVF.  And any show that showcases Kelly Cutrone’s filter-free moments and tosses in an LC cameo for good measure is high on my list. 

Orchestra tickets to see “Anything Goes”.  Again.  So. Damn.  Good.

Rediscovering an old song that I forget I loved.  This one popped into my head on Friday when I was heading home for work.  Suited the day perfectly.  This clip doesn't do it justice.



My new carpet!  I can’t help it. I still get excited every time I come home and see it.  I know…talking about my carpet installation makes me sound very old.  And boring.  And like I have no life.  (I do.  Swear.)  But you have no idea what I was dealing with here, so allow me to illustrate:

(To note, I should probably be more ashamed of posting this, but oh well…)

Before: (also known as “ick”, “gross”, “bleck”, “oh the shame”)

During: (Less than 24 hours with those rolls and I probably tripped over them twelve times!  Life in a studio.) 


 After: (Hello, lover!  Walking barefoot has never felt so good.  And a heads up for potential visitors…yes, you will have to lose your shoes on the stone floor at my front door.  Clean feet and socks only!  Nothing gives me an excuse to be high-maintenance like new carpet.)

Which leads me to,  my new Electrolux vacuum.  I ditched my upright for the Rolls Royce of canister vacuums.  I am a changed woman.

When my internet shopping stuff comes in the mail and opening every package is like Christmas morning.  Even if I do wind up returning half the crap. And possibly forget ordering a quarter of it.  And I’m fairly certain my doorman judges me, not only by the amount of clothes that show up, but by the cases of wine that have recently arrived.  Whatever.  It’s been a rough road.  And hello, this is all about what pleases me! 

Bliss.  Sure, the feeling, but also the place.  The massage.  The products.  The little brownie squares in the lounge.  Even when I’m forced to cut back on the luxuries in the not-so-distant future, I refuse to give up my Bliss. 

Baseball. 

I said it before and I’ll say it again…I find so much solace in music.  In my head there’s always a soundtrack playing. Sometimes I pretend I’m living in a movie sequence or in the coda of a One Tree Hill ep and I pick out the songs that would be playing, fully capturing the moment.  Right now my random soundtrack includes “The Gift” by Angels and Airwaves, “Steal My Sunshine” by Len, “You and I” by Lady Gaga, “Walk On the Ocean” by Toad the Wet Sprocket and “Praise You” by Fatboy Slim.

“Somebody told me, this is the place, where everything’s better and everything’s safe.”  See Toad, above.

Kate White.  I just starting rereading Over Her Dead Body.  I think she’s such a cool chick and have total career envy.   Am bummed I’m going to miss the launch of her new book in August, but then again I’ll be on a beach in Portugal, trying to get a tan, so I’ll find a way to deal.

BBM.  IM.  Video chat.  Life changing.

The fact that I discovered Desperate Housewives so late in the game.  I quit back after Season 1, but have now worked my way all the up to the last episode available on Netflix. I almost don’t want to watch it because then what?

Stumbling upon a really good blog.  My latest find (by which I mean addiction) is  http://itakephotosinthebathroom.blogspot.com/  1.  What a genius idea.  2.  I’m a big fan of her color combos.  3.  Reading blogs by people who are committed to what they’re doing and who I can relate to inspire the hell out of me. 
Clean laundry. Fresh sheets.  Warm bath towels.  Jeans that fit perfectly *after* you wash them. 
The Rachel Zoe Project.   I downloaded the whole series from iTunes.  Bananas.  Shutting it down.  I DIE!  You get the idea.  Another case of career envy/inspiration.
Yoga pants + a tank + an oversized hooded cardigan sweatery robe thing = my home uniform.

This picture.  It makes me happy and a little sad. But almost a happy sad, if that makes any sense.  Oh, Kermie!  I was just talking to my friend at work about how I grew up watching The Muppet Show.  I would say I was generally a pretty happy, self-contained and self-entertained kid and this just reminds me of being a kid vs. the Nana I am now, who talks about her carpet like other people would talk about their child.  Don’t judge.  It’s damn good carpet.


No comments:

Post a Comment