Thursday, February 3, 2011

What's the use of wond'rin'?

I’ve been over-thinking this first entry for far too long, because the truth is, I can over-think just about anything.  What to wear…what to watch on TV…what to eat for dinner.  I blame the Libra within – we tend to have a really hard time making up our minds. 
           
And during all this crazy over-thinking, I couldn’t help but wonder – what if I wrote something no one wanted to read?  Wondered if I could keep coming up with ideas.  Wondered if what I wrote would be good or interesting or funny.  Wondered, if my blog fell in the forest would anybody hear it?  And then a good friend of mine told me to just take the leap and to write like I was emailing her – but to be sure to change the names and fuzz out any of the incriminating details.  Because really, what’s the use of wond’rin’?

So here I am, heeding her advice, ripping off the proverbial Band-Aid and diving head first into the land of the blog where I’ll inevitably write randomly about why I find cleaning to be totally therapeutic, about my love for massages at Bliss, my addiction to baseball, the hours spent watching select reality TV (I’d like to think I’m *slightly* discriminating) and about all the other TV shows I’m proud to admit I tune into.  I’ll also chime in on celebrity gossip, the books I’m reading, the writers I admire, the songs dominating my iPod, why I love living in NYC (though the worst winter on record is making me long for a warmer climate), the nonsense in my co-op, the comedy at the gym, friendships, family, relationships, and anything else that may cross my mind at the time. 

And of course, there’s the daily antics at my office, that provides more material than any writer could hope for.  Case in point, I actually had someone ask me to clean pee off a toilet seat because I work in Operations, and we are pretty much looked at like the office maids.  I’ve worked really hard to have a position with the word “Director” in my title, but in the eyes of some of these folks I’m apparently the Director of Cleaning Up a Female Colleague’s Pee.  Good times.  But I try to keep a good sense of humor and you have to when, on occasion, you do things like book an Outlook calendar invite for all the firm to see for the “Annual Holiday Boob Signing”.  It took a week before anyone clued my into the typo, though I suspect I would have had a better turnout for the boob vs. book signing. 

But thankfully not all my writing consists of Freudian typos.  I’ve written two novels.  The first (a “write what you know” purging at it’s best…and perhaps worst) is living under my bed, where in all honesty it belongs.  The second, a mystery, is currently working the critique circuit.  And there’s a work in progress, which is suffering from some temporary neglect, but I promise, I’ll be back. 

So that’s my story.  And in the spirit of “don’t get it right, get it written,” this is me, maybe not always getting it right, but hopefully you’ll be back to see what I’ve written.

No comments:

Post a Comment